For gamers, Discord is a life-saving mode. This VoIP(Voice Over Internet Protocol) chat service allows gamers to communicate with their teammates during their ongoing gaming sessions. You can even collaborate in multi-team games through Discord. Another benefit of this VoIp application is its customized servers, voice channels, and personalized features.
On top of that, you can also share your screen on the discord server to live-stream your gameplay to your friends in real-time. Due to such features, many pro gamers and even armature gamers prefer discord servers while gaming.
But, there is a glitch related to audio. You are sharing your screen, but the audio is not active. Hence, your friend or teammate cannot hear what you are telling or what is going on while the screen share is active. In some cases, the screen displays a black screen that does not work altogether.
Such glitches during an intense gaming session can cause additional problems. The communication is interrupted, and often the game sessions come to an abrupt end due to miscommunication.
But, do not worry. There are a few tricks to counter this “discord share screen no sound” problem. Here is a complete guide that can help you troubleshoot such problems within minutes to enjoy your gaming sessions without any issues.
What Leads to Audio not Working in the Discord Screen Share?
Different causes result in the no audio phenomenon in a discord chat or screen share system. While some causes are related to the software, others are related to the computer or laptop a gamer uses. Here are some probable causes that prevent the audio from functioning properly during any screen sharing instance-
- The audio drivers are faulty
Discord servers use the device audio drivers to stream the audio. If the audio drivers of your device are faulty or corrupt, you may experience this problem.
- The screen sharing is in the initial phase.
Often the no audio issue happens during the initial or the starting phase of screen sharing. The screen share mechanism often remains unstable when you start it. The problem usually goes away as soon as the whole mechanism stabilizes.
- The permissions and access grants
While sharing the screen over a discord server, you remotely share the whole screen of your device to other devices. This may require your computers to get elevated administrative access. If the access is not granted, the audio may not work properly.
Often some applications may not work with Discord properly. In such cases, you may need to look for alternatives.
Solutions: Discord Share Screen No Sound
Solution 1: Check The Discord Server Status
The first thing you need to check is if the discord server you are using is functional. Try to check server status first. Often, the screen share’s performance and functionality do not work properly if the server is down. Even though this happens seldom, it can happen for some channels. You can check the server status by visiting dircordstatus.com.
If you find that the server is working fine, you can try the other methods.
Solution 2: Restart The Computer
No audio on discord screen sharing? Then you can try rebooting your computer once. If you are running multiple applications on your device alongside Discord, the applications often come into conflict.
In some cases, the audio gets disrupted due to the glitches in different apps.
Rebooting the device helps to delete the present glitches of the software and applications. Hence, you get a clean system and can start afresh.
If this does not work, move on to the next trick.
Solution 3: Reset Your Discord Voice Settings
No audio in screen sharing? Probably the voice settings on your discord app are not all right. Often resetting the voice settings to the default state can fix this issue. Here is a step by step method for this-
- First, open the Discord app on your device
- Next, click on the Settings icon appearing on the screen. A new panel will open on your screen.
- After that, click on the “Voice & Video” tab. It is usually placed in the second position of the left panel.
- Now, click on “Reset Voice Settings” on the right panel of your screen.
- A new pop-up window will appear on your screen to ask permission for resetting the screen. Here, click on “Okay”.
Now, you can share the screen again to check if the audio is working. If the problem persists, you can try the next hack.
Solution 4: Utilize Discord Legacy Audio Subsystem
If your hardware is incompatible with the latest discord audio subsystem, the studio will not work. Even if the screen sharing works properly, the studio will not work.
In such situations, using the Legacy Audio Subsystem often helps cure the problem.
Here is a step-by-step method for this-
- First, launch a discord app from your screen.
- Next, click on the “Settings” icon appearing on the screen. A two-panel window will appear on the screen.
- Now, click on “Voice & Video” in the left panel.
- After this, click “Audio subsystem”, appearing on the right side of the panel.
- From the drop-down, select “Legacy”.
- A new pop-up dialogue box will appear. Click “Okay”
Solution 5: Add Program to The Discord
Often the audio does not work properly because the game you intend to stream is not added to Discord. So, first, check if you have already added the intended program(game) on your discord app. If not, follow these steps to add it-
- First, launch Discord and the program you want to share on the device.
- Now, open the “Settings” icon on the discord app screen.
- After that, click on “Activity Status” on the left panel.
- Now, click on the “Games Status” tab.
- From here, click on “Add it”, appearing on the right-side panel. A new drop-down menu will appear.
- Now, select the program you want to add to Discord.
- After this, click “Add game”.
- Now, turn on the toggle appearing next to “Overlay” to ensure you can share the screen with fully functional audio.
Still unsolved? Here are a few other tricks to check out-
Solution 6: Update The Audio Driver
One of the main causes of the audio issue during screen sharing is the outdated or faulty audio driver. Hence, if you want a seamless audio experience, ensure the audio driver is up-to-date while playing the game.
Some drivers can be updated manually. You have to visit the audio card manufacturer’s website for this. Search for the latest driver needed for the module on the intended website. Now, download the file and install it to update the audio driver.
Solution 7: Clear The Discord Roaming Data
If your audio driver is updated, then probably the roaming data of your Discord app is the main culprit behind this audio issue. The temporary files and corrupt settings often cause the audio service to become faulty.
Hence, check the status of the Discord Roaming data on your device and clean this to fix the audio problem-. Here is a step by step guidance-
- First, exit from the discord app.
- Next, clear all the running processes related to Discord through “Task Manager”.
- Now, press the “Windows Home key”. In the search bar, type %appdata% and press “Enter”.
- The screen will display numerous files and their related data. From here, select the file named “Discord”.
- Right-click on the file and click on “Delete” to delete it.
- Launch the discord app again and start screen sharing to check if the audio is working fine.
Solution 8: Update The Discord
An outdated Discord application will never work properly. Often this causes the audio to become faulty during screen sharing. Outdated discord apps may also host multiple bugs, causing the “no audio” issues.
Fortunately, the Discord developers regularly release updates to the application. You can always check the latest updates and update the discord app as per requirement.
But, first, check if there are any pending updates for Discord by following this method-
- Open the “Run” dialogue box by pressing the “Windows Logo” and “R” buttons together.
- Now, type %localappdata% and click “OK”. A list of different folders will appear on your screen.
- Find the “Discord” file and double click on it from the list.
- After the file opens, double click on “Update.exe”, appearing on the left side panel on your screen. If there is any pending update, the update will start automatically. Wait for the update to get complete.
- Finally, re-launch the Discord to check if the issue is solved.
Solution 9: Disable Antivirus Temporarily
If you have tried all the above methods and still the “No audio” problem appears, it is time to check the antivirus. Often the antivirus software comes in conflict with the Discord, resulting in no sound during the streaming service.
Try to disable the antivirus temporarily. After that, again resume the screen sharing.
If you find that screen sharing is working properly after disabling the antivirus, take necessary action. You can either contact the antivirus manufacturing company to find the solution or replace the antivirus altogether.
Solution 10: Repair Corrupt System Files
If you have any corrupt or missing files on your device, the Discord audio may not work properly. Hence, check if your device is in proper health.
Try scanning the device once to find out any corrupt system files. If there are any such files, fix them or repair them to ensure you get seamless streaming from Discord with proper audio.
Solution 11: Reinstall Discord
Tired of all the above hacks, but the problem persists? Then, it is time to reinstall the Discord altogether. Often, using a fresh application helps to get better services.
For this, follow the step-by-step guide-
- Open the control panel from your device.
- Now navigate to the right side of the screen and find “View By”. From the drop-down menu beside it, select “Uninstall a program”.
- After this, right-click on Discord.
- Now, click “Uninstall”. Wait for the uninstallation process to finish.
- Again download Discord on your device.
- Follow all the instructions to install the new discord version,
There are many ways to solve the problem if there is no audio while sharing the screen on your Discord. You can check out each of these to find a suitable option. You can also get help from someone who has been using Discord for a long time.