There’s an interesting misconception about winter that I’ve heard for as far back as I can remember. A lot of people think that SPF is not as important in the winter because the sun doesn’t cause as much damage in winter as it does in the summer. People probably thing this because the heat from sunlight is much more obvious in summer. But that doesn’t mean we aren’t absorbing UV rays. So perhaps now would be a great time to learn a little about the differences between UVA and UVB.
If you’re wondering why wear sunscreen in the winter, the important thing to remember is that good SPF should be Broad Spectrum which means it should protect both against UVA and UVB rays. There are distinct differences between these rays that justify SPF use in winter.
- UVB – Think of B rays as burning rays. They are the most common cause of sun burns. They do contribute to tanning and photo-aging and they play a key role in skin cancer. A very important element to remember about them is that the most significant amounts of UVB rays hit between 10:00am and 4:00pm from April to October.
- UVA – Think A rays as aging rays. These rays damage cells in the basal layer of the epidermis where most skin cancer occurs. This is the ray that is most frequently used in tanning beds. These rays account for up to 95% of radiation that reaches the earth. They are 30 to 50% more prevalent than UVB rays. They can penetrate clouds and glass and they present equal intensity during daylight year round. This means that, even in the winter, as long as there is daylight outside, our skin can be damaged by the sun.
The good news is that at jane iredale, we have a great assortment of products that will keep you well protected year-round. Our SPF products are made with Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide which are approved by the FDA as designated physical SPF ingredients. Let’s look at some occasions when winter SPF is important and highlight some highly recommended products for each one.
Whether we’re going to work, the grocery store or just hanging out around the house. We always want good UVA / UVB protection. Powder Me SPF makes daily sun protection easy with a broad-spectrum SPF 30 loose powder in a convenient retractable brush applicator. The sheer but powerful formula is perfect for quick, daily applications to the face and body. Environmentally friendly and vegan, the purse friendly brush comes with two cartridge refills and a handy cover that makes it completely portable. We think you’ll love how easy it is to apply and how beautiful it looks on the skin.
For The Lips:
So often we forget that our lips need sun protection too. But let there be no mistake, our lips have very delicate skin and SPF is definitely important for them. Our Lip Drink Lip Balm SPF 15 is a great way to keep them hydrated and protect them from UV rays.
Don’t Forget The Hands:
In today’s culture, we’re all washing our hands more than ever before. We’re also constantly slathering on alcohol-based hand sanitizers that dry out our hands making the skin more vulnerable to sun damage. Hand Drink Hand Cream SPF 15 will protect your hands from UV rays and keep them hydrated and soft. The essential oils in Hand drink feel wonderful and the uplifting lemongrass aroma will refresh your senses. Great to carry in your purse or keep next to your sink, we highly recommend it in the winter and year-round.
One of the brilliant things about jane iredale foundations is the fact that you can get your SPF in the formula rather than having to apply it separately. And remember that our SPF is known to be physical, broad spectrum and very water resistant for up to 40 minutes. This makes our foundations the perfect choice for a variety of lifestyles. That leaves only a choice which formula you’d like to use. Let’s look at a few of them:
- Dream Tint – For the “no makeup makeup” look, Dream Tint Tinted Moisturizer is our sheerest finish. It gently tints the complexion and creates the perfect clean skin appearance for those who don’t want to look like their wearing makeup. Enriched with sea lipids that prevent trans-epidermal water loss and increase elasticity, it contains a broad spectrum SPF of 15.
- Glow Time– The “all in one” makeup product. Glow Time Full Coverage Mineral BB Cream is our highest coverage liquid foundation. Known for it’s quick application and easy use, Glow Time is a favorite of those who want to cover hyperpigmentation or redness without looking overdone. It drenches the skin with moisture but never looks greasy and it contains a broad spectrum SPF of 17 to 25.
- Amazing Base– The legend that started it all! Amazing base Loose Mineral Powder is the first product jane iredale ever launched. Given the name Amazing Base because people who tried it would exclaim “That’s amazing!”, it offers extraordinary coverage, minimizes texture and creates a beautiful, luminous glow while giving the skin a broad spectrum SPF of 20.
- PurePressed Base– Our best selling product world-wide. When people search for jane iredale, they’re typically looking for PurePressed Base Mineral Foundation. Internationally loved because of it’s easy application and portability, PurePressed base has become the makeup artist’s standard for creating a perfect, semi-matte complexion. It contains a broad spectrum SPF of 15 to 20.
If you’ve ever met Jane, you probably know that she is quite passionate about sun protection. A pioneer in the physical SPF arena, she has always been transparent about our ingredient decks and the clean technology we use to create our SPF products. She’ll be the first to tell you the importance of sun protection, even in the wintertime. So make sure to apply your winter SPF and remember that the most beautiful cosmetic you can wear is a healthy skin!