New generation TVs, consoles or monitors only offer limited connectivity options since old connectivity ports such as analog audio/video ports aren’t useful these days. In the majority of media devices like Playstation and Xbox, you will find HDMI as the primary connectivity option. Thus, it becomes a bit tricky to connect old TVs or monitors to these new-gen devices.
In such a case, you will need an RF HDMI modulator to bridge the gap between traditional I/O ports and HDMI inputs. Since RF HDMI modulators are not exactly popular, you may now know what to check while you are buying one. Here are some important things that you need to know before buying an RF HDMI modulator.
- Supported Video Quality: If you are buying an RH HDMI modulator, you must be needing it to connect a new device to an old TV. Since almost all new devices offer high video resolution support, you should try to find a similarly high-end RF HDMI modulator that can offer a high-quality video transmission. Otherwise, you may not find a desirable video quality after installing the RF HDMI modulator.
- Type of Connector: Not all RF HDMI modulators are the same. In fact, there is a lot of variety available within these devices based on their applicability and usage. While some devices are designed to serve limited applications, some are designed in such a way that they can be used for a versatile set of applications. If you are not sure which type of RD HDMI modulator is perfect for you, simply select one that offers the highest connectivity options.
- Remote Control Feature: There are a handful of RF HDMI modulators that offer the remote control feature which might be needed depending on your installation method. If your unit has a power switch, you won’t be able to manually use the switch if the device is installed behind a large TV. In such a case, the remote control feature comes in handy and offers a much faster response time while connecting your devices.
Today, we will be looking at some of the best RF HDMI modulators available in the market right now. Since you might not be familiar with these devices, we will offer all the necessary information with each of our picks, making it much easier to select a model according to your needs. If you need more help with the properties of an RF HDMI modulator, make sure to check out our Buying Guide for the best RF HDMI modulator available right after our picks.
Best RF HDMI Modulator in 2022
Best RF HDMI Modulator Reviews
1. AoeSpy HDMI RF Modulator Coax Adapter
Starting off our list with popular options, we have the following RF HDMI modulator from AoeSpy. This is a well-known product in the market since it is highly compatible as well as compact.
Coming in at the 1st position, we have the HDMI RF Modulator and Coax Adapter from AoeSpy. This modulator supports 1080p video resolution which is great considering it is one of the cheaper options present on our picks. You will be able to use the AoeSpy HDMI RF Modulator with almost all standard media devices such as FiresStick, Apple TV, Roku, and even gaming consoles such as PS4, PS5, Xbox, etc. As for the output, it supports traditional RF output that is needed for old TV models like CRT TVs.
You will also get HDMI to coaxial cable adapter functionality present in this device that can convert HDMI signals into VHF analog output. With the HDMI modulation, you will also have additional control options such as amplitude control, brightness and contrast control, and zoom function. The AoeSpy HDMI RF Modulator also supports remote access which makes it even easier to use.
- Unit supports up to 1080p video resolution
- Offers both HDMI to RF and HDMI to VHF analog conversion
- Features HDMI, USB, and RF ports
- You can customize brightness, contrast and use the zoom feature
- The device supports remote access
- One of the cheaper alternatives for an RF HDMI modulator
- A compact and portable option
- More features should have been included
2. PVI ProVideoInstruments VECOAX MINIMOD-2 HDMI
There are a lot of premium options available in the market for an RF HDMI modulator. Out of which, the following option from VECOAX might be a great pick based on its features.
In the 2nd place, we have the VECOAX MINIMOD-2 RF HDMI modulator. This is quite a premium option compared to other choices we have included on this list. But, it is certainly a good fit if your requirements are also similarly high. First of all, you will get up to 1080p resolution support on this device which makes it ideal for all types of applications. ANd using this device is as simple as plugging in the cables in the right ports.
Another great feature of the VECOAX MINIMOD-2 RF HDMI modulator is the Dolby audio support. Along with a high-quality video output, you can also experience your games or movies on an old CRT TV without compromising the audio quality. The VECOAX MINIMOD-2 RF HDMI modulator can also be aired with an antenna connection or basic TV cable connection so that you can watch your favorite on-air channels.
- Premium choice for an RF HDMI modulator
- Supports Full HD 1080p resolution
- Up to 19.5 MHz frequency support
- The device supports Dolby audio processing
- Can be combined with an antenna or cable connection
- Highly versatile RF HDMI modulator
- Supports high-quality video as well as audio I/O
- Suitable for all types of applications
- Should have been a bit more in the affordable range considering other options
3. Multicom 1080P HDMI to Coax Digital Modulator
Now that you are familiar with cheaper as well as premium options, let us focus on a few options that cover the middle ground. The following option from Multicom offers many great features within a budget-friendly price tag.
In the 3rd place, we have the Multicom RF HDMI modulator which is simply the best option at this price range. Within such an affordable price range, you will get support for Full HD 1080p video resolution along with AC3 audio output which is pretty common nowadays on high-quality video content. With the Multicom RF HDMI modulator, you can distribute your HDMI content over any channel from 2 to 135.
The Multicom RF HDMI modulator does not compromise even a bit when it comes to video quality. You will get a perfectly clean and clear image quality, even for fast-paced video content such as sports. And with the Multicom RF HDMI modulator, you won’t have any need for set-top box installations anymore. This RF HDMI modulator is compatible with almost all systems in North America as well as Mexico.
- Unit supports up to 1080p video resolution
- 30 MHz to 951 MHz frequency support
- Supports AC3 audio quality
- Supports 1080p resolution from channel 2 to 135
- Perfectly clean and clear image quality
- Great device at this price point
- Eliminates the need for set-top boxes and media players
- Comes with a compact LCD display for additional information
- Remote access is not available
4. Broadcast HDMI to Coax Modulator
Coming back to the premium options for an RF HDMI modulator, we have the following choice from Thor Broadcast. In fact, it is the most premium option in our list today simply because of its wide connectivity options.
Up next, we have the Thor Broadcast HDMI to Coax Modulator. This unit will certainly set you back a significant sum since it is a highly premium option, but you will also get a lot of great features and maybe the only compatible option in your case. The Thor Broadcast HDMI to Coax Modulator allows Full HD 1080p video resolution to all TVs and offers input as well as output ports for HDMI and RF connections.
The Thor Broadcast HDMI to Coax Modulator also features a compact LCD display at the front that will show you the current channel number for ease of access. It is also backed with a year of warranty as well so that you can have assurance about the quality and reliability of the RF HDMI modulator. This is basically an all-in-one device that also includes MPEG2 encoding along with AC3 Dolby audio processing for flawless performance.
- Unit supports up to 1080p video resolution
- 57 MHz to 803 MHz frequency support
- It supports AC3 audio processing
- Compact LCD display at the front
- Comes with a year of warranty
- One of the most reliable choices for an RF HDMI modulator
- Features input and output ports for both HDMI and RF connection
- Highly versatile in terms of application
- Maybe overkill for basic applications
5. Aoespy RF Modulator HDMI RCA Coax Converter
Let us introduce you to yet another highly affordable option present in the market for an RF HDMI modulator. The following option is also designed by AoeSpy and offers many similar qualities as our last pick from the brand such as compatibility and portability.
A lot of users prefer buying a portable and handy device when it comes to buying additional appliances such as an RF HDMI modulator. Therefore, we are including yet another compact option on our list made by AoeSpy. The AoeSpy RF Modulator and HDMI RCA Coax Converter is a combination of modulator and demodulator devices coupled in the same unit. Thus, you won’t be needing an additional device if you want a reverse connection between HDMI and RF.
Similar to our last choice from AoeSpy, the AoeSpy HDMI RCA Coax Converter is also compatible with almost all standard media devices present in the market right now such as streaming boxes as well as gaming consoles. Also, this modulator is compatible with HDMI 1.3 ports and supports VHF and UHF 2 operating frequencies for up to 136 channels. This device also allows 1080i output which might be perfect for some old CRT TVs.
- Unit supports 720p, 1080i and 1080p video resolution
- Supports VHF and UHF 2 frequencies
- One of the affordable options
- Suitable for new-gen consoles and streaming boxes
- Offers both modulation as well as demodulation functionality
- Great option considering its price range
- Offers multiple functionalities despite small form factor
- Easy to install and use
- Remote access would have been great
6. Fosa Digital RF Modulator AV
Fosa is also bringing a similar option as our last pick for the best RF HDMI modulator. However, the following option from Fosa is even cheaper and might be a great pick for those who are on a tight budget.
If you are not sure which type of RF HDMI modulator is best for you, you should try the Fosa Digital RF Modulator before considering other premium options. If this device works out fine for you, you will be saved from quite a loss since this device costs a fraction compared to other premium choices. The Fosa Digital RF Modulator supports both VHF and UHF operating frequency, which is suitable for the majority of applications.
You will also find support for up to 868 MHz frequency support on this device, making it perfect for basic usage. Even though it is a cheaper option, you will get a compact LCD display on the front where you can check the channel number. The overall design of the Fosa Digital RF Modulator is quite ergonomic and easy to install. Also, you will be able to adjust the output levels and audio/video configurations right from the device.
- Unit supports up to 1080p video resolution
- 868 MHz frequency support
- The cheapest option for an RF HDMI modulator
- Highly ergonomic design
- Adjustable output levels
- The best option for basic requirements
- Suitable for various devices such as gaming consoles and cameras
- Highly ergonomic design with digital display
- Devices do not support demodulation feature
7. Multicom1080P HDMI Digital RF Modulator
Multicom has managed to land yet another premium option on our picks for the best RF HDMI modulator. This option might be the best option for you if you haven’t found a compatible modulator on our list.
Finishing off our picks for the best RF HDMI modulators, we have the Multicom HDMI Digital 200 Encoder and RF modulator. Multicom HDMI Digital 200 RF modulator offers full support for 1080p video resolution and supports up to 134 channels even with such high video quality. You can also select output from a variety of options such as J.83B QAM, ATSC, ISDB-Tb, or DVB-T. The Multicom HDMI Digital 200 RF modulator also offers high-quality audio performance thanks to the AC3 audio option.
Multicom has made the installation and setup of the Multicom HDMI Digital 200 RF modulator even easier by including a 19 inches rack mount accessory kit with the package. There is also a small yet readable LCD panel present on the Multicom HDMI Digital 200 RF modulator which helps a lot at the time of a setup. Even after that, the display will show you a lot of important information which is needed while you are using the device.
- One of the premium choices for an RF HDMI modulator
- Supports multiple outputs
- Up to 1080p video resolution supported
- Comes with a 19 inches rack mounting kit
- Front LCD panel for ease of access
- The installation kit is included with the modulator
- The LCD panel is quite helpful
- Supports up to 134 channels
- Comparatively expensive than a few similar options
Buying Guide For The Best RF HDMI Modulator
So far, we have offered you the best options available in the market for an RF HDMI modulator. If you need this connector, you must own an old TV or a monitor that you want to connect with your media device. Since such situations aren’t that common, most users don’t have an RF HDMI modulator lying around somewhere in the garage.
And hence, it becomes a bit difficult to pick up an option from the market as there is little to no information available about the type of RF HDMI modulator you may need, or the one that is compatible with your application. However, we have covered the same in our buying guide for the best RF HDMI modulator. Here, you will find all the information that you may need before you buy a new RF HDMI modulator.
1. Connectivity Options
One of the very first things that you should check before buying an RF HDMI modulator is whether it can support your requirements or not. For that, you will have to check the available input and output ports on a device. Also, you need to make sure that it allows the same connection type that you want, whether it is RF to HDMI or vice-versa.
Most basic options in the market do not support a reverse connection. Thus, even if your device offers the necessary ports, you should check its functionality and supported input as well as output formats. Usually, you will find 2 types of RF HDMI modulators, that are RCA-based and RCA-HDMI combined. The RCA-HDMI modulators are generally more useful since they offer a more versatile connectivity range.
2. Included Accessories
Along with the RF modulator, you will be needing many other things such as cables, connectors, power adapters, and much more. Without these essential peripherals, you won’t be able to install the device, let alone use it for connections. A lot of brands that produce these modulators offer all necessary peripherals included with the box.
Since you might be paying a large sum for an RF HDMI modulator, you should make sure that you are getting everything you are going to need in the same box. It is ideal for quicker installations and saves you the trouble as well as the additional expense of buying additional accessories later on. The most important accessories for RF HDMI modulators are the installation brackets, connection cables, and a power adaptor used to power the device.
3. Supported Video Quality
Video quality is also an important factor, especially if you are buying an RF HDMI modulator for entertainment purposes. If you are going through all the trouble of buying a separate device just so you can connect a multimedia device to an old TV or monitor, you should make sure that it also offers a decent output quality.
If the device you are picking up does not offer a decent quality output, you won’t be satisfied with the performance of the device at all. And since these devices aren’t exactly cheap, you should make sure that you are going to get a satisfying performance before you make your purchase. For that, simply make sure that the RF HDMI modulator you are buying supports Full HD 1080p resolution output since most modern multimedia devices are capable of this resolution. And if you are on a budget, the best choice would be an HD 720p RF HDMI modulator.
4. Installation and Application
Even if the RF HDMI modulator of your choice satisfies all of the criteria mentioned above, it is still not the best pick for you if you are unable to install it. Without proper installation, you may face basic problems such as loose connections, damaged cables, unreachable devices, and many more.
Therefore, make sure you check out the size of the device and create a hypothetical plan of installation before you actually buy the unit. This should give you an idea about the available space near your TV or monitor and check whether the device fits in the space or not. Also, you need to know whether the device is applicable for your connection or not. For that, simply check the power options, onboard controls, and even the remote control feature, if available.
Q. What is a coaxial cable?
A coaxial cable is a simple type of cable made up of copper material for conducting electrical current with an insulator shield covering the exterior of the cable. These cables also include a braided metal mesh that eliminates all external signal interferences that may affect the signal transmission. You may have seen a coaxial cable if you have a digital cable connection for your TV at your home. If you wish to connect this cable with an HDMI TV or monitor, your RF HDMI modulator must include a port for coaxial cables.
Q. Is a demodulator necessary with an RF HDMI modulator?
A digital modulator is installed to allow the transmission of high-frequency digital signals over traditional analog I/O ports. WIth that, you will be able to connect digital media via a physical medium. A demodulator on the other hand works in reverse. These devices restore the original signal of the previously modulated wave. You may or may not need a digital demodulator depending upon your application. In the majority of cases, a demodulator is not required.
Q. How does an RF HDMI modulator work?
An RF HDMI modulator will simply convert the HDMI input into RF signals. In simpler words, it allows you to connect new-gen consoles to old TVs that require an analog or RF connection. With a decent RF HDMI modulator, you will be able to watch almost any type of HDMI-source media on old TVs or monitors without any problem. In a lot of cases, the RF HDMI modulators are installed to watch the content with a cable TV or antenna input TVs. Even though there are many different types of RF HDMI modulators available in the market, most of these devices operate in the same manner.
As you might have seen so far, there is quite a variety available even if you are looking to buy a special-purpose device such as an RF HDMI modulator. Along with our selection of the best RF HDMI modulator, we have also offered you the best features of each of our picks along with a handful of pros and cons. If you need any further help, we have a buying guide for the best RF HDMI modulator present right to help you. If you can’t find a suitable option, try one of our top recommendations present right here.
If your needs aren’t that high, we will suggest you go with a basic option such as the fosa Digital RF Modulator. This is the cheapest option present in our selection today that offers pretty great features for this price range. This modulator supports multiple outputs such as AV-RF, AV-TV, and others. Even in terms of design, the fosa Digital RF Modulator can be a great pick since it is such a compact option with an ergonomic design.
However, if you aren’t able to install a basic option as per your needs, consider going with the Thor Broadcast HDMI to Coax Modulator. As this is the most expensive unit in our picks, you will surely find the feature you want in this unit. This modulator supports up to 1080p video resolution for all connections. You will find HDMI I/O ports on this device, alongside RF I/O ports for versatile connectivity options.
The Multicom RF HDMI modulator is a similar option on our picks that will also offer you the best features at a premium price range. This unit also supports 1080p video resolution and support for up to 134 channels. With the Multicom RF HDMI modulator, you will be able to select any output between J.83B QAM, ATSC, ISDB-Tb, or DVB-T. You will also receive a 19 inches rack mount kit with the RF HDMI modulator and other wall mount accessories to make the installation easier.