Mac desktops and laptops are known to be perfect for most programmers out there. This is due to the reason that it offers excellent support for most of the mainstream programming languages. And if you are a Python developer, then you will be glad to know that Macs are perfect for the same too.
Not only do they have excellent support for Python and all its tools, but you also get the desired power to easily run heavy Python programs on your Mac. But before you can start using Python on your Mac, you will have to first install PIP on your Mac. Hence, we are here with a complete guide on how do you install PIP on Mac with multiple methods and all the important details that you can find down below.
Check the Python Version
As mentioned earlier, Mac is perfect for programming thanks to the excellent support it offers to the user. One such feature of Mac which makes it perfect for programming is that it comes with Python installed in it out of the box. Due to this, before you go ahead and install PIP on Mac, you should first check the Python version installed on your Mac. If it already has a version of Python installed in it, then you do not need to install Python to install PIP. To check the Python version installed on your Mac, you can go through these instructions:
- Using the Launchpad on your Mac, open the Terminal window which will be used to check the Python version.
- After that, type “python –version” and press enter to execute this command.
- You will then see the Python version installed on your Mac which means that Python is installed on your Mac and you do not need to install it separately.
How do you Install PIP on Mac?
In case your Mac already has Python installed in it, then you can proceed ahead to install PIP in it. In that case, you will be glad to know that Python is a highly versatile programming language. It allows the user to install PIP on Mac via multiple possible ways. Hence, if you want to install PIP on Mac, you can go with any of the methods given down below:
Install PIP on your Mac using get-pip.py
Whenever you are talking about installing PIP on any platform, the get-pip.py method is considered the best and the easiest to use method. This is due to the reason that it is a script which automatically downloads as well as installs PIP on any device including your Mac. Hence, you can also install PIP on your Mac using get-pip.py as shown here:
- You have to press Command + Space Bar on your keyboard to use the Spotlight search for opening Terminal on your Mac.
- After you have opened a Terminal window, type “python 3 – version” and press enter. If you see a version of Python 3 installed on your Mac, then you can proceed ahead.
- Now, type “curl https://bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.py -o get-pip.py” and press enter which will download the get-pip.py file on your Mac.
- At last, type “python3 get-pip.py” and press enter which will execute this Python file to install PIP on Mac successfully.
Install PIP on your Mac using easy_install
While it is not used anymore, then easy_install used to be the primary method for installing Python packages before PIP was introduced. As a result, you can even use easy_install to install PIP on Mac as described in these guidelines:
- First, open a Terminal window on your Mac so that you can use the easy_install utility.
- Then, type “sudo easy_install pip” and press enter inside the Terminal window.
- You will then have to enter your administrator password as the Terminal window asks for it.
- Once entered, PIP will be downloaded and installed on your Mac right away.
Install PIP on your Mac Using Brew
You can also consider Homebrew or brew to install Python packages on your Mac. It happens to be an open source package manager which can also be used to install other package managers like PIP. For using brew to install PIP on Mac, you will have to consider these instructions:
- Similar to other methods, first open the Terminal window on your Mac.
- Once opened, type “brew install python” followed by pressing enter on your keyboard to execute this command.
- After you have executed this command, not only PIP but the latest version of Python, as well as setuptools, will be downloaded and installed on your Mac right away making it the best all rounder method for installing PIP on Mac.
Install PIP on your Mac via Ensurepip
If you are running Python 3.4 or newer on your Mac, then you will be glad to know that you do not need any external commands. In fact, newer versions of Python don’t even need an internet connection for installing PIP on Mac since PIP comes inbuilt with newer versions of Mac. And if your Mac also has Python 3.4 or newer, then you can install PIP as shown here:
- To begin, you have to first open Terminal on your Mac using the Launchpad or Spotlight search.
- After that is done, you will have to type “python 3 -m ensurepip –upgrade” and press enter to execute it.
- As soon as this command is executed, PIP will be installed on your Mac right away.
Verify PIP on your Mac once Installed
Once you have been through the methods given above, you must have installed PIP on Mac by now. While these methods work flawlessly, it is still a great idea to ensure that it is installed properly. In other words, you will need to verify PIP on your Mac by going through these steps one by one:
- Start by opening the Terminal on your Mac using the Launchpad.
- Once you are inside the Terminal, you need to type “pip –version” and press enter.
- If it shows you the PIP version along with its location and other details, then it means that you have successfully installed PIP on Mac.
Those of you who are familiar with Python must know that installing PIP is quite important. It is a package installer which allows you to install Python and all its components. In short, without installing PIP on your device, programming in Python is next to impossible. Thus, those of you who have Mac machines must have already gone through the complete tutorial on how do you install PIP on Mac given above. This tutorial has multiple methods for installing PIP on Mac as well as to verify its installation so that you can get started with Python on Mac right away. If you have gone through all the information regarding the guide on how to install PIP on Mac given above, make sure to share your thoughts in the comments section. You can also post any questions down there if you have any!