You can find a wide range of communication apps out there which can be a great way to easily stay in touch with your friends and family. Although, most of these communication apps are quite basic in terms of the features and functions they offer. While most of them are basic texting apps, some may also include voice and video calling capabilities.
But when compared with each other, Discord is leagues ahead of most other communication apps. This is due to the reason that it offers a wide range of handy and unique features to the user. Not only can you use it for voice and video calls, but it even allows you to share your computer’s screen with multiple people at the same time if needed.
In case you are not familiar with the same, then you will find this guide quite handy since we are here with a complete tutorial on how to screen share in Discord servers quite easily. You can also learn more about the screen share function of Discord in this tutorial, its benefits, its features, and much more by following this tutorial till the end.
Benefits of Screen Sharing in Discord
If you want to learn how to screen share in a Discord server, then it is highly likely that you are not familiar with the same. Because of this, you might even be wondering about the benefits and the preferred uses of this feature offered by Discord. Thankfully, you will be glad to know that the screen share feature of Discord can be quite handy since it offers the following benefits to the user:
- Discord users can easily share their screens no matter what their time zone, location, or the device that they are using.
- If you are sharing your screen, you can still see everything on your screen as well as check your screen share stream if needed.
- Discord does not need any extra addons or extra apps to be installed on your computer for using its screen sharing feature
- You can find the Discord screen share on almost all devices along with the support for all devices to join them with ease.
- If needed, the screen share stream of your Discord can be recorded to be shared with others if someone was not able to join the call on time.
- People who play games on computers can even share their gameplay via the screen share feature with others for entertainment purposes.
- The Discord screen sharing feature is great for education, offices, businesses, web support, presentations, training people, and so much more.
Set Up Discord Video Call and Screen Share?
Now that you know more about the screen share feature of Discord, the chances are that you would want to try out the same as well. In that case, you will be happy to know that
Discord is quite easy to use and perfect for even beginners who do not know much about Discord in general. Hence, we are here with this complete tutorial on how to set up Discord screen share and video call which can be used to connect up to 10 people in total to a single call:
#1. Voice and Video Settings in Discord for Screen Sharing
Before placing a screen sharing call in Discord, you have to make sure that all of your voice and video settings are correct. This essentially means checking whether you are using the right audio, voice, and video devices for placing a screen share call. To check the same, you need to check Discord settings as shown here:
- For opening up Discord settings, you have to click on the gear knob icon in the bottom left corner of your screen to open the User Settings in Discord.
- Now, you have to go to the Voice & Video tab from the left side panel menu where you can find all of the voice and video settings of Discord.
- Here, you need to make sure that the correct input and output devices are selected under the Voice Settings section. This section also allows you to change the volume of both your output device as well as the input device.
- If you want, you can also check the microphone of your computer by clicking on the Let’s Check button.
- Once the Voice Settings are changed correctly, you can scroll down to the Video Settings to select the correct video device or the webcam on your computer.
- Similar to the voice input device, you can also test your webcam by clicking on the Test Video button.
- Apart from these basic settings, you can also find features like noise suppression, echo cancellation, attenuation, and vocal diagnostics which can be great for easily improving the quality of your microphone as you desire.
#2. Share Screen in a Discord Voice Channel Server
After you have selected the right voice and video settings in the Discord User Settings, you can go ahead and share your screen in any Discord server of your choice. In most cases, you would want to share your screen in a voice channel of any Discord server that you regularly use with your friends. To share your screen in such a voice channel, you need to follow these steps:
- First, open the Discord over of your choice and find its voice channel where you want to share your screen.
- Now, simply click on the voice channel to join it and start a voice call.
- You will then find the option to turn on your video or webcam feed as well as share your screen in the bottom left corner of your screen.
- Here, you have to click on the Screen button which will open a new window where you can select any window of your choice or screen of your choice if your computer has multiple monitors.
- Once the desired application or screen is selected, you can choose options like resolution, frame rate, and the audio settings of your screen sharing stream.
- Finally, click on the Go Live button to start sharing your screen in the selected voice channel.
#3. Screen Share In-Call Settings
Once you have already started a voice or video call in Discord, you would want yourself as well as everyone else in the call to have the best experience. For the same, choosing the right settings during the call is also quite important. To do this, you can use the options offered by Discord as described in these instructions:
- During a screen sharing call, you will see a total of 4 buttons on the bottom where each icon has a small arrow on the bottom for opening its respective settings.
- You can then click on the arrow of the monitor icon to open your screen sharing settings.
- Here, you can find the stream quality option which allows you to change the frame rate and the resolution of your screen sharing stream.
- Other than this, you can also find an option to Change Windows which allows you to switch between different applications or screens in case your monitor has multiple monitors.
#4. Voice and Audio In-Call Settings
Apart from selecting the right in-call screen sharing settings, you would also want yourself as well as others to have the best experience in terms of the audio quality of the screen sharing call. As a result, Discord also offers voice and audio in-call settings which can be adjusted fairly easily by going through these steps:
- Similar to the in-call screen sharing settings, you have to click on the down-facing arrow on the microphone icon when you are on the screen sharing screen in Discord.
- Here, you can quickly change the input device as well as the output device for Discord voice. These settings are great for ensuring that you are using the right devices for the best possible audio quality.
#5. Additional Steps for the Discord Web Browser Version
Those of you who are using Discord in a browser instead of the Discord App will have to follow slightly different steps for placing a call. Not only that but the settings discussed above will also have different methods of changing them because of the slightly different user interface of the Discord web browser version. Fortunately, placing a voice call or a video call in the Discord web browser version is also quite easy as you can see down below:
- For starting a screen sharing call, you have to go to the Friends tab and click on the three dot menu next to your friend’s name where you have to select either the Start Video Call or the Start Voice Call option as per your preference.
- You can also text someone and click on the Voice Call or the Video Call icons present in the upper right corner of your screen when you are in the chat window of your desired friend.
- This similar process is also used for placing voice or video calls if you are using the Discord app on an Android or iOS device.
Features offered by Discord Screen Share Feature
Even though we have already described most of the details regarding the Discord screen sharing feature, some of you might be interested in knowing more. To be more exact, we are here with all the major features offered by the Discord screen sharing feature. By knowing more about the features offered by the Discord screen sharing feature, you can use it to its full extent. So if you are planning to share your screen using Discord, make sure to learn about its features which are listed here:
#1. Expanding your Screen
Whether you are watching your own screen sharing call or watching someone else’s, the default view can be a bit small making things a bit difficult to see. Thankfully, Discord allows you to increase the size of this shared screen quite easily. You can simply click on the arrow present on the right hand side of your screen to expand the screen to its maximum size for easily viewing everything. You can also click on the fullscreen icon present in the bottom right corner for covering your entire display with the screen being shared in your Discord call.
#2. Switching between Video Calls and Screen Sharing
As mentioned earlier, Discord can be used for both video calls as well as screen sharing. And in some cases, you might want to switch between a video call and a screen sharing call or vice versa. For the same, you can simply use the 2 control icons present on the bottom left corner of your screen as discussed earlier. You have to first stop screen sharing or the video call using these buttons and then enable the other one for switching between them quite easily.
#3. Leaving Voice and Video Calls
Once you have talked with your friends or family over voice, video, or even screen sharing, you would like to end the call. With Discord, this process is quite easy as you get a large red colored disconnect button on the bottom left corner of your screen which will make you leave the call even if everyone else is still on the call.
#4. Mute your Voice
If you want to talk to someone else in your room or go away from your computer during a call in a way that you do not leave the call but do not disturb everyone else in the call at the same time, then you should consider muting your voice or microphone. For the same, Discord offers a microphone icon in the bottom left corner of your screen. You can click it once to mute your voice or microphone and click it again to activate your microphone again quickly and easily.
#5. Switch to Full-Screen Mode
In case you are watching a game or a video over a screen shared call in Discord, you can even put the shared screen in full-screen mode for easily and properly viewing everything. You can do so by clicking on the full-screen mode button present in the bottom right corner of your display. As for leaving the full-screen mode, you can simply press the escape button on your keyboard.
#6. Pin a Person to the Screen Center
While placing a video call or a screen sharing call in Discord, it is quite likely that there are multiple people within your call. In such a case, focusing on one screen or one person’s video feed can be quite challenging. Thankfully, Discord allows you to pin a person to the center of the screen in an enlarged window for a better viewing experience. To do the same, you have to click on the profile photo of the desired person and select the Pin option. Doing so will enlarge their shared screen or video feed and put it in the center for easier viewing.
#7. Change Screens during Screen Share
Whether your computer has multiple monitors or you are using multiple applications at the same time other than Discord, there might be many cases where you would want to switch between these various sources while in a screen sharing Discord call. Thankfully, Discord allows you to do this from the in-call screen sharing settings. You can switch between two applications, between two monitors, and even between an application and a monitor. And the best part is that even if you switch between these options, you will stay connected to your Discord call at all times.
How to Record and Share your Screen?
As mentioned previously, there might be many cases where you placed a screen sharing call in Discord and not everyone was able to join on time. Since such users can possibly miss an important part of the call, some of you might be interested in recording your screen and sharing it later. Fortunately, if you are using a Windows PC, this is quite easy to do since there are various ways to record and share your screen as shown here:
- The first method of recording your screen and sharing it later requires your computer to have an Nvidia graphics card inside it. If you have the same, then you can simply download and install the Nvidia GeForce Experience utility on your computer. It allows you to record your screen using your graphics card which means that your computer will not slow down at all while recording your screen. Once recorded, it shows you multiple sharing options including being able to share it directly to popular social media websites.
- Even if you do not have an Nvidia graphics card, you can still record your screen without taking up a lot of system resources. As long as you have a computer with Windows 10 or newer, it will have Xbox Game Bar functionality in it. While this feature is made for improving the gaming performance of your computer, it also offers an option to record your screen. You can simply press Windows Key + G on your keyboard to bring up the Xbox Game Bar where you can click on the record button to record and share your screen with ease.
- Those of you who have a highly powerful computer can consider OBS for recording your screen and sharing it. While it certainly uses a lot of system resources for recording your screen, it is still a great option thanks to its wide range of features and options. Apart from recording your screen, it can also stream your screen to online streaming services like YouTube, Facebook, Twitch, and various others. And the best part is that you can add an extensive amount of overlays, effects, and widgets on both your recordings and streams using OBS.
Whether you want to share your screen for education, office work, business tasks, tutorials, web support, entertainment, or any other application, you can find many applications out there for the same. And even though such apps function pretty well for the most part, they are quite basic in terms of the features they include. This is where Discord proves to be a much better option since it allows you to do much more while sharing your screen.
In case you are not familiar with the screen sharing feature of Discord, then the complete guide regarding how to screen share in Discord servers given above is just for you. We have covered each and every detail about the Discord screen sharing feature as well as how to use it in this guide. If you have gone through all the information regarding how to screen share in Discord Server given above, make sure to share your thoughts in the comments section. You can also post any questions down there if you have any!