Many of you might know what I’m not usually one for wearing a statement lipstick, but that doesn’t mean I don’t love trying out gorgeous new lip colours when they come my way. At this time of year with Halloween and party season coming up, there’s nothing sexier than a statement dark red lip, but if you’re not comfortable applying a dark lip, how do you get started? As with all lip looks, you should start with a liner, which you can see me applying in the IGTV tutorial, below. Listen out for my joker / Ronald McDonald comparison; applying the liner just right is very important! Hop over to my Instagram to make sure you’re following me to get my latest IGTV videos first, or watch my bronzing tutorial right here.
THIS POST CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS
How To Apply A Dark Red Lip
Here are my top tips to ensure your lipstick looks great and stays that way all day.
- Start off doing the corners of your lips with a lip liner, to create depth using a darker hue.
- Also create the cupid’s bow using your liner for a more precise finish.
- Blend the edges slightly using a lip brush for a softer look.
- Using a brush take some lipstick from the bullet and apply to your lips. I would never use a square brush for this because it’s too angular. Choose something that moves with the shape of your lip.
- Sometimes a darker lip can look too strict or mean, so use a slightly softer line to soften this by buffing the colour into the skin with your brush.
- To finish the look, curl your lashes, take any shine out of your skin and apply a coat or two of mascara.
Here are the products I used to create this look:
VICTORIA BECKHAM BEAUTY | Lip Definer in Shade 5
HERMES BEAUTY | Lipstick in 85 Rouge H
SHU UEMURA | Kolinsky 7h lip brush
PAT MCGRATH LABS | Dark Star Mascara
FINAL TIP: Don’t forget to carry the lipstick with you for topping up on the go, or finish with a dusting of translucent powder applied through a tissue to give a matte finish and keep the look in place for longer.
UP NEXT: How To Apply A Bright Red Lip | My Red Lip Colours | Common Lipstick Makeup Mistakes
© Wendy Rowe. All Rights Reserved.